On 2nd December 2015, Design in Action will be showcasing a selection of our innovative Scottish funded companies in a marketplace exhibition in the Garden Lobby of the Scottish Parliament. Hosted by Michael Russell MSP, the event will also hear from:
- Prof. Georgina Follett OBE (University of Dundee and Director of Design in Action)
- John Mathers (CEO, Design Council)
- Ben Gray (DC Thomson)
Design in Action (DiA) is Scotland’s Knowledge Exchange Hub for the Creative Economy funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council. We demonstrate, via research undertaken with our academic partners, the economic business benefit of strategic investment in design. Through Chiasma, our trademarked innovation process, we have helped create and support fifteen new Scottish businesses, three of which have publicly launched to date.
Exhibitors include: –
- Tappstory. Tappstory utilises innovative technology that is activated automatically when a mobile device (smartphone or tablet) touches a product label to reveals its provenance and authenticity. http://tappstory.com
- A Fox Wot I Drew. Recipients of the first DiA / Dare to be Digital Prize for Commercial Potential with their 2D platform game ‘Baum’. To be released in 12 languages on the Apple App Store in January 2016. www.afoxwotidrew.com
- UAN Wool Ltd. As previewed at this year’s Royal Highland Show in June, UAN Wool offers high-quality and durable woolen pillows and cushions which are temperature-regulating, breathable, naturally flame retardant and can significantly ease symptoms associated with asthma and allergies. Led by sheep farmer Julie Hermitage. www.uanwool.co.uk
- Urban Farming Company – The ‘TableFarm’ is an innovative product developed by Jason Morenikeji following his attendance at our second Food Chiasma in April 2014. Conceived as the Tamagotchi for real edible plants and linked to the Internet of Things, the TableFarm is a smart plant growing device. Designed for the home, workplace or classroom it incorporates a wonderfully interactive gamified food growing experience via a smart phone, laptop or tablet. www.tablefarm.co.uk
- Tusi – Tusi is an award-winning, quick and easy way to type into your smartwatch – Smart Typing for Smartwatches. Led by Dr Tim Willis (Nautilus Beam), the creator of Flexpansion Fast Forward Typing, the idea won funding at our digital imaging Technology Accelerator Chiasma in January 2015. It has since won further funding from Scottish EDGE and Tim an RSE Enterprise Fellowship. www.tusi.co.uk
DiA exemplifies the value of applying a design approach to business – building products, processes and services to meet customer needs with the potential to revolutionise both the marketplace and business models.